Packing for an Ironman? Here’s my tried-and-true packing list:
Morning Bag/Swim Gear
- 2 swim caps
- 2 sets of goggles (Always, ALWAYS have a backup set of goggles in case of goggle emergency, or you can just make someone’s day when they forgot their goggles.)
- A buttload of bodyglide (for the back of your neck – wetsuit hickey prevention)
- Earplugs (if you like to use those – especially good to use in cold water)
- TIMING CHIP! As they say at all races… No chip = no time.
- Socks and bike shoes
- Water bottles – Put these on the bike before the race
- Garmin (or the like)
- Bike shorts and jersey – If you plan on changing into dry clothes. Or just wear these under your wetsuit
- Nutrition – Also put on the bike before the race, or stuff into jersey pockets in T1
- Tire pump – Always pump up tires before the race, then stow the pump in the car, or with a trusty trisherpa. You can not put your bike pump in your gear bag.
- Emergency kit (somewhere on the bike – this includes spare tubes, CO2, patches, tire levers, and a bike multitool)
- MORE BODYGLIDE
- Extra water bottle (I like to use this to give my feet a quick rinse before putting on my socks, and drink what’s left – swimming makes me thirsty!)
- Spray on sunscreen
- Eardrops to get rid of water in the ear (saves you a TON of frustration on the bike)
- Chamois butter (or the like) travel packs. I stuff these things in my jersey like they’re sardines. They are heavenly out on the bike when you’re hurting like a bitch.
Bike Special Needs
- Nutrition grab bag. You may have something particular that you want to have halfway on the course. I don’t like to rely on anything in special needs. For me it’s more of a nutrition goody bag. At that point, my normal nutrition may be making me want to vomit. So I like having a fun bag of goodies to choose from. Also, you’re always warned that you may not get your special needs bags back, so don’t put anything valuable in them.
- Extra tube and CO2 cartridge
- New socks (new socks are a godsend at this point), and running sneakers
- Handheld H2O
- MORE BODYGLIDE
- Belt with bib number
- Running shorts and top (if you plan on changing)
- More spray on sunscreen
- More travel chamois butter
Run Special Needs
- More nutrition grab bag!
- More bodyglide
- A warmer top (Just don’t forget to grab it so you don’t lose it. You can always toss it to your sherpas out on the course if you don’t need it.)
Post Race Bag (to be delivered to you at the finish line by your trusty trisherpas – or you can put this stuff in your morning gear bag, since those are waiting for you at the finish line)
- Warm clothes (sweatpants, jacket, etc.)
- FLIP FLOPS (dear god, YES)
- Baby wipes (you be NASTY!)